Christmas Tree Composting
After Christmas, residents with City curbside yard waste pick-up may set their Christmas trees and greenery out on their regular collection day. Trees must not be in plastic bags, and all decorations must be removed.
Starting Saturday, December 26, drop-off sites will be available for all Louisville/Jefferson County residents at four locations. The Hubbards Lane site will also instantly recycle Christmas trees into mulch that will be offered back to citizens for home use. Those wishing to receive mulch must bring an appropriate container in which to carry it. All lights and ornaments should be removed from trees before they are dropped off or set out for collection. Christmas tree vendors may recycle their unsold trees on Saturday, December 26 only, and only at the Hubbards Lane site.
HOURS & LOCATIONS
Tuesday-Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Waste Reduction Center closes at 3 p.m. on Saturdays) through January 30.
All locations will be closed Saturday, January 16.
- East District Recycling Center, 595 N. Hubbards Lane
- Public Works Yard, 10500 Lower River Road (enter from Bethany Lane)
- Waste Reduction Center, 636 Meriwether Avenue
Residents normally serviced by private waste haulers should check with those companies to see whether and when tree pickup is available.
Winter Yard Waste Schedule
Every winter, yard waste is collected by request only. During this time yard waste crews will only service households who made a request for collection the week before.
January 18 - April 2
How to make a request:
- Call 311 or 574-5000 or email email@example.com
- Be prepared with the following information or include in your email: First and last name, address, phone number, set out location (front, rear, side, alley, etc.), and approximate number of containers, bags, or bundles.
- Your appointment will be scheduled on your regular collection day THE FOLLOWING WEEK. (Example: If your regular yard waste collection day is Thursday, and your request is made on Monday, February 8, your yard waste will not be collected until Thursday, February 18.)
- Set out yard waste no earlier than 4 p.m. the day before your appointment and no later than 6 a.m. the day of your appointment.
Metro Public Works offers free leaf drop-off service seasonally. Only loose leaves are accepted. Containers used to bring leaves to the drop-off sites must be disposed of off-site by residents.
2021 dates will be announced in the fall.