A special note regarding waste collection and COVID-19:
In order to reduce the risk of infection and spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) to waste collection workers, Louisville Metro is asking residents to make sure all household garbage is bagged and tied closed before being placed inside city or waste hauler-issued garbage carts.
Although Louisville/Jefferson County ordinance states that no plastic bags containing household waste can be set outside of garbage carts, we understand the volume of waste generated by households is likely to increase while more residents are staying home. As an added precaution, if your garbage cart fills up before your collection day, please place any additional garbage bags in a reusable container with handles that allows workers dump it without contacting the garbage or, if a container is not available, double bag the waste and place it next to the garbage cart. Finally, medical sharps used to administer medication should be placed in a rigid plastic container, clearly marked “Sharps,” sealed shut and placed in the trash. Residents with private waste haulers should contact the company for any additional requirements.
Recycled materials should remain loose in recycling bins and carts. For overflow, residents may use reusable containers alongside the regular recycling cart/bin. "RECYCLING" stickers for labeling your extra container are available for free at our office, 600 Meriwether Ave. Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Solid Waste Management Services Division collects garbage from residential buildings having eight or fewer units, condominiums, and small businesses generating less than six containers of garbage per week within the Urban Services District (see map).
Live outside the Urban Services District? Collection of garbage, yard waste and recycling outside the Urban Services District varies by location. Residents living in small cities within Jefferson County should contact the city administrator for more information. Residents of unincorporated areas must contract directly with a private waste collection company.
Not sure about your address? Use the MyLouisville tool to find out if your address is within Louisville Metro's service area and if so, when garbage collection occurs.
Urban Services District Residents: Garbage carts are provided to residents within the Urban Services District free of charge. The serial number printed on the cart is associated with a specific address where it must remain if a resident moves. Garbage carts are the property of Louisville Metro. Order a garbage cart or report a missing or damaged cart. (Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery)
Do's & Don'ts:
- All items must be inside cart with the lid closed.
- Maximum cart weight load is 200 pounds.
- Place cart at the edge of curb or alley at least three feet from other carts, buildings or objects with the arrow pointing toward the street.
- Do not block sidewalks.
- Garbage must be set at the curb or the alley no later than 6 AM on collection day, but no earlier than 4 PM the day before collection day.
- All containers must be removed from the street or alley no later than 4 PM the day after collection.
- Syringes and broken glass should be placed in a rigid container with a tight-fitting lid before being put into cart.
- NOT PERMITTED: Human waste, household hazardous waste, liquid paint, and construction, remodeling & demolition materials.
- Animal waste should be placed in a plastic bag before being put into cart.
Waste collection does not occur in the Urban Services District on Metro Government Holidays. Holidays incur a one day delay and all collections for the remainder of the week are also delayed one day.
Metro Government Holidays - one day delay for affected collection day and the remainder of the week
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
View the Know Waste Webinar about Louisville's waste collection system: