Hazardous Materials Disposal -- Haz Bin
Open Tuesday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- To avoid leakage, do not put chemicals in trash bags.
- The dumpsters on site are for staff use only - NOT for hazardous waste.
- No dumping.
- Hazardous waste from businesses is not accepted.
Asbestos floor tiles (less than 25 lbs)
Batteries (auto, household and rechargeables)
Cleaners (bathroom, rug, upholstery, all-purpose spot removers)
Fluorescent light bulbs & LED light bulbs
Furniture polishes and waxes
Gasoline (including boat gas)
Hearing aid/watch batteries
Lawn/garden hazardous chemicals (container must be left at HazBin)
Mercury thermometers and thermostats
Metal polishes and rust removers
Nail polish and removers
Oil based paint or lead paint
Oven and drain cleaners
Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, insecticides (container must be left at HazBin)
Propane tanks (1 lb and 20 lb grill tanks)
Solvents and degreasers
Swimming pool chemicals
Varnishes and stains
Items from businesses
Containers larger than 5 gallons or 40 pounds
More than 25 lbs of Asbestos
Not sure how to dispose of something? Try out the What Goes Where search tool!
Good, usable, latex paint can be recycled!
Drop off your usable, latex paint and it will be sorted by color and re-blended by Habitat ReStore. The paint is then sold at Louisville Habitat ReStore locations for $13 per gallon. This money goes right back into our community by supporting Habitat for Humanity’s mission to create housing solutions for qualified families in Louisville. Learn more about latex paint recycling here.
- If there is only a small quantity of paint in the can, remove the lid and let stand in a well-ventilated area away from children or pets until dry.
- Containers with dried latex paint may be placed in tightly sealed plastic bags and placed in garbage containers for pickup. The lid may be recycled.
- Oil based paint or lead paint must be taken to Haz Bin for disposal.
Good, usable latex paint can be dropped off at the following locations:
HAZ BIN (year round)
Tuesday - Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
7501 Grade Lane, Louisville, KY 40219
Louisville Metro Staffed Recycling Centers (March 15 - November 15 only)
Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
595 Hubbards Lane, Louisville, KY 40207
7219 Dixie Highway, Louisville, KY 40258
7201 Outer Loop, Louisville, KY 40228
Habitat for Humanity ReStores (year round)
Tuesday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
2777 S Floyd St, Louisville, KY 40209
Monday - Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m., Sunday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
4044 Taylorsville Rd, Louisville, KY 40220
Wednesday - Friday. 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
1631 Rowan St, Louisville, KY 40203
Business Hazardous Waste Disposal
HAZ BIN accepts hazardous waste from Louisville Metro residents only. Businesses wishing to dispose of hazardous materials should contact a local hazardous waste disposal company.
- Kentucky's Division of Waste Management, Hazardous Waste Program
- The EPA offers this document to help small businesses understand the federal regulations that apply to businesses that generate hazardous waste: Managing Your Hazardous Waste: A guide for small businesses